Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Driving

Hello Blog world. I am Kaiyuh, one of the three girls authoring this blog. Keep in mind, dear readers, this blog is very new. We have not quite worked out what we want to write about, or if we just want to wing it and see what comes of it.

The ability to drive a car is a most wonderful thing. Your world is opened up to the open road (provided you have a vehicle) and you are free to drive it. We drive because it makes things easier. Commuting people rely heavily on transportation, namely commuting by car. So why is it that my Driver's Ed. class drags us through two hours of painful "education" before we actually get to drive?

Said education revolves around our teacher filling our heads with horrific stories of backing up into small children and what happens when you don't look in your rear-view mirror every five seconds. Granted, the information is valuable, and they run a pretty good program, but sometimes I wonder what the point of listening to 2 hours of stories (possibly made up) about stupid people doing stupid things behind the wheel. Fortunately, the driving structure himself is awesome and hilarious. Unfortunately, today I spent most of my energy during class time trying not to vomit all over the place. Forest fires in the area socked us in with smoke, and it didn't settle very well with me. As I write this, my headache is only just beginning to abate, and the nausea is all but gone.

Alas, why do people invest so much on the ability to drive? Heck, I'd be perfectly pleased to buy a great bike and pedal everywhere. Driving is fun. Driving is fast. I love to drive, but why organize our lives around the vehicles that take us places? Some people say it's the American culture, some say it's the automobile companies...I honestly don't know. All I can say is that if/when I get a car, I plan to invest in a zippy little eco-friendly hybrid, and feel better about my carbon footprint. And so goes the story of my first two days of driver's education. The plan is that I will have my licence by the end of the week.

Hopefully.

-Kaiyuh Rose-

No comments:

Post a Comment